Thursday, July 20, 2006

2nd Post


OK, so I'm at work on my lunch break. Just read my last post and I sound 14 ("stuff and things and stuff"). I think I heard somewhere that details are what make writing interesting so maybe I'll try and add some of those. Last night me and Bebo and Haggard played a little 3-handed euchre and I womped them! Bebo was in the negatives for the entire last game. That's always fun. I made goulash. We're tyring to cook all the food in the house to save some cash. The night before I made yummy yummy pork-chops and the night before that Bebo made that chicken that mom made last time she was out here. We really need to skimp of the spending since I only have one roommate for next year (Rhea my friend in the micro deparment). I'm excited for her to move in Aug 1st. She has a kitty named Dakota. I always want to call her Alabama. Bryan and Jeff are moving out which is fairly depressing. They're moving in with a work friend out to Wash Park--the "cool" nieghborhood for young, popular adults. I'll miss them cause I know we won't see eachother half as much as we do now. Lunch break is over so I'm off to mutate some DNA!

2 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger G00GLEFACT said...

Yea, This one was a better post then your first. What is goulash? I know I could look it up, but then what would be the purpose of this comment?

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Dr.melaniemario said...

Goulash is a spicy dish, originally from Hungary, made of beef, onions, red peppers, and paprika powder. Its name comes from Hungarian gulyás, the adjective of "gulya," meaning cow.
Goulash is a popular dish in Hungary and its neighbours in central Europe and the Balkans, and is widely known in other parts of the world. It is traditionally considered a simple home meal, because it requires little attention after initial preparation, and because it uses more affordable cuts of meat. Nowadays, it is also often eaten at restaurants, because its long cooking time makes it impractical for working families to prepare at home.
Goulash is most often prepared as a stew. Meat is cut into chunks, seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika, and then browned in a pot with oil. Shank, shin or shoulder is used — goulash derives its thickness from tough, well-exercised muscles rich in collagen. Sliced onions, hot red peppers and garlic are added. After the meat is browned, water or stock is added and the stew is left to simmer for several hours to thicken. Some finely diced potatoes may be added to provide starch as they cook, making the stew thicker and smoother. Other herbs and spices may also be added, especially bay leaf, thyme and ground caraway seeds. A small amount of white wine or a very little wine vinegar can also be added near the end of cooking to round the taste.
Some cooking books suggest using flour or cornstarch to thicken the stew, but this produces a starchy texture and a blander taste. Others suggest using generous amounts of tomatoes for colour and taste. A small amount of tomatoes in the stock that is used, or a drop of tomato puree, may improve the taste and texture, but goulash is a paprika-based dish and the taste of tomatoes should not be discernible.
Goulash is served with boiled or mashed potatoes, polenta or dumplings, or alternatively as a standalone dish, with bread.

I make it with lots of tomatoes, pasta and eat it on bread and butter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home